Panic Buying


"Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God.  And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus. - Philippians 4:6,7 (NIV)


I’ve only seen the panic buying online from posted videos or heard it from the news. The fear of being confined to homes for a long time somehow drives everyone to go to their stores and buy more than what they need. I have never experienced the chaos until this morning when I needed to get my usual needs.

The streets leading to Sam’s Club were eerily quiet with only very few cars I could count with only the fingers of one hand. Compared to pre-Coronavirus scare when I always needed  to plan way ahead and try to beat the traffic on the freeways, but even on side streets were no exemption.

The hours were changed. Two hours later than what it would have been opened for those who paid extra for club memberships in order to get in early and avoid the rush of shoppers. I liked it only because on summertime when the heat was unbearable, I could manage to go way early and not get bothered by the hot sun. I was shocked to see many cars already parked six minutes after the club was just opened. It was easy for me to find a spot but at the corner of my eyes, I thought I saw a very long line of what looked like miles long. There was a policeman watching, standing in between the doors while a sales associate was guarding the opening tightly and not letting in anyone until he gave the cue. Everyone was calm and patient despite the ordeal. But I didn’t want to wait in line and get sick doing so.

I headed to the other grocery store, Sprouts, six miles away to check and see what I could get since I might need to also replenish my food stock. I was fooled to see how well stocked it was still when only I saw the first shelf of cosmetics. Going aisle to aisle while assessing what I could use “instead” than the “usual” which was already gone, I was like in the movie I had seen long time ago of people panicking and hoarding goods. Sadly, even fighting over items. The pastas were gone. Tomato sauce, frozen pizza, no chickens, no bread… I could go on and on… There I was picking what remained which was okay than not to be able to eat anything.  

I found myself exchanging texts with my husband and son about the scarcity of foods but somehow, our spirits remained joyful. Now wouldn’t be the right time to be picky whether that bread has a lot of salt or sugar. I grabbed a well wrapped Irish Soda Bread and thought how good it would be with butter. There was still hope, I texted my hubby and son with a smiley face. I grabbed the last pad thai noodles that I was thinking of subbing for other soup that needed noodles. "No chickens!!!" I told my hubby to which he texted, "Get the beef ribs. That's still good!" It was a private joke of eating the foods we were trying to avoid to try to eat healthier then. Now??? No time to think about cholesterol and saturated fats!

I was aware of some people trying to distance themselves from others. Or from me. But the process was still smooth despite…

no bread





another empty shelf


no chicken left


 “I got it!!” the lady in front of me told me when I attempted to hold her stuff on the conveyor belt stucked, seemingly a bit annoyed.

“Okay,” I replied without adding an apology with my desire to help her out. I was thinking I wasn't sick but the paranoia was starting to get intense among some!

On my way out, all I could think of was to thank God. This was only a glimpse of what would come. Of worse scenarios yet... still wouldn’t be the apocalypse. There are still a lot not known about coronavirus being new. But people forget that many also get sick from flu or other viruses. Nothing beats the old way of having short fingernails and a proper handwashing with soap. Back of my mind? I was thinking more of the spiritual battle and what was not seen regarding this matter. But I know all I need is to remain trusting in God alone and stay strong with the power He gives.

I know that in these trying times, I must not let kindness, compassion, love and understanding be washed away from this wave of confusion, fear and a lot of “unknowns”. 


16 comments:

  1. Isn't it crazy? Fortunately the grocery store near me does a good job of stocking, and if I go in the morning, I can pretty much get whatever I need (like you said, if I'm not too picky)--except wipes and hand sanitizer. They don't even have the usual sanitizer at the entry to the store so you can wipe your cart on entering, and your hands on the way out. The produce section is pretty well stocked though, as is the more expensive aisle with the non-perishable health food brands. It's sad to see how people are panicking and hording stuff like toilet paper without thought that other people need it too. I guess times like these show what's in people's hearts--bringing out the best in some, and the worst in others.
    P.S. Glad to see you posting again. It's been quite a while. Stay healthy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi sister Sandra and thank you for visiting. This pandemic shows how easy it is to get afraid and just think about "me" first before others. It is also a great test I think for God's family how they will react in these trying times. I am grateful that each time my hubby gets the groceries we need, he's able to get those. But I remind him just to get what we need. I know that only by God's grace, we will overcome this and whatever will come our way. Blessings to you sister Sandra and be safe.

      Delete
  2. We've had similar experiences here. I shop at a nearby Hispanic Bashas store and they were out of pinto beans and most dry beans and rice! No eggs! So glad there is no shortage on God's love or provision these days. Grocers are stressed to the max! I told our check out clerk I see her hard work and would remember to pray for her. She was grateful. I'm seeing lots of opportunities to be the church outside of the building. I'm kind of excited about that. Love to you, friend. Praying for you and your family. Thank you for praying for Tom. He had so much energy today and loves seeing so clearly!

    ReplyDelete
  3. When you left the store and expressed your thoughts, I couldn't help but notice that's exactly the way down to the very words that I felt. This is the test before the big test. I bumped into a shopper at the grocery store who use to work there and always seemed to see me first and reach out in all friendliness. But when I saw her, she put her head down and I yelled her name and smiled. Her response startled me and I thought of her all day. She looked terrified to be even talking to me and said: "I'm social distancing!" Yikes. So much fear and tension now. We have everything we need here and actually, it is no problem to hunker down and pray a lot, read alot and spring clean! I hope you and the family have a very special Resurrection Day. I send my love and hugs to you and always prayers, sister in the Lord! You are so special to me, as you know!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pardon my lack of time checking the footsteps left here on my site. I appreciate your visit and all of your comments sister Mary. I never forget to remember you in my prayers. Though my blogging had slowed down (a lot!) but my prayers would never cease for my blogging bros/sisters/friends. I think this pandemic is a great opportunity to live truly in faith not fear. And I had been praying that others would draw nearer to God because of their fears, confusion and doubt. This is nothing to what would come in the future as we know it before the Lord comes. But I feel there's always an urgency in every generation so that others may draw themselves to the Lord Who wants us all saved. Love and hugs to you sister Mary and Happy Resurrection Day!

      Delete
  4. Hi, I am so glad that we are living on a peninsular which is not very busy, and we have a local store which has all we need - including fuel for the car. I hope and pray that this virus will be taken away very soon by our Lord, but I too believe that these times can be used to bring those who do not know our Lord to Him for help and salvation. The weather is nice here at the moment and even though we can not do a lot of travelling because of the restrictions we have a nice back garden that we can sit in and feed the birds, which I love doing. Our God is good and His thoughts are for our welfare and not to harm us. Amen and God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with everything you said about our good Lord sister Brenda. I believe that through this trial, a lot of lies are also being exposed in the spiritual realm under His Light. I pray not only for people to come to know the Lord but most especially, for backsliding Christians to turn back to God and truly live in obedience for He is a Holy God. I pray the Lord to always draw us all near for we are all sinners. I'm glad you're safe and with joy and contentment that comes from knowing the goodness of our Lord, there is nothing else we need. For He is faithful and sustains us all with everything. To Him be the glory. Stay safe and thank you for your visit. God bless.

      Delete
  5. It’s interesting to note that there are many biblical examples of preparing ourselves for an event like this. God’s people are preppers. 😇 I’m also Reminded of Romans 8:28 during times like this.

    All things work for the good of those who love God and those who are called according to his purpose. I hope everything is good with you guys and Happy Resurrection Day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amen bro Keith! If God is for us, who can be against us? Not even this coronavirus can separate us from His love. Blessings to you and thank you for your visit.

      Delete
  6. I have been to a store once since this shut down. I had my mask which caused me to sweat because I had to sneeze and I knew if I did people might run me out. Was able to control it but the it was so tense in the store, could not wait to get out. Of course they had very little of what I needed but we made do with what I got. Since we shared a house with our son he was always going to the store so he would pick up what he could. My husband has done the Costco three time finally getting TP this last time and Kleenex. My friend called me recently and ask if I needed my hair cut, we use the same person. She had talked her into coming to her house to cut her hair. I was going to get in on it but decided not to and then my friend changed her mind when I said no. My hair is the least important thing to me now, people health is more important. It's been interesting how much one can change in a second when our own lifestyle is threaten. I really am not worried about get the virus, we are obeying as much as possible so if we get it, we get it. My husband is very protective of me since my heart surgery, our son is protective of both of us. We are blessed. Glad you are doing well.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes! I always remind myself not to worry about anything but in everything present prayers w/thanks to our good God. I'm glad to hear you are feeling okay sister Betty. It's amazing how one virus can turn people's lives upside down just like that. I don't believe everything I hear from the news. Most of them instill fear and some are not truthful (maybe most?). I trust the Lord will turn this into something we are not expecting in the coming days. I know lies would be exposed and that may many turn to Him because of this. That haircut thing? I had been cutting my own hair (call me crazy) since it's only a short bob. Now, I have to recall how to cut my hubby's and turned out okay since I had cut his hair twice already. I'd rather have uneven haircut than be sick :) Stay safe sister and God bless and protect you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 100 percent with you on the haircuts and I just my did my hubby the other week. An update on our lives. This past Sunday at 2 in the morning my husband woke up with his heart racing. After about an hour trying to get it to come down along with his blood pressure he finally called the medical service which was here in five minutes. they took him to hospital, they did a angiogram the next day, no new blockage, praise the Lord. They adjusted his defibulator and put him on new med and sent him home. In all this, I had to stay at home, could not be with him. We are moving in a week, need to purchase a car. In fact was one of the dealers today and had to come home, too stressful for my husband, all that wheeling and dealing, trying to get him to buy more then we needed. We have not bought a car from a dealer since the 70s. So we may just rent a car and head up to Mn. where we are moving to and buy one up there. I feel safe, I really do and I know it is a super natural thing God is doing in my heart. Even us needing a car, this is a 1st world country, can rent one easily. I have missed your post, you seem to pour out wisdom with every world, calming for sure in these days. I am going to write a post about this change God has brought our way, it's a blessings and a heartbreak at the same time. We are leaving our son and three kids in California and moving to where our daughter is who has three older children. But she will be our care given if we ever decide to retire. Blessings sister, blessings.

      Delete
  8. I'm thankful that, at least here in the UK, things have settled down and the shops are stocked up again. people seem to have gotten over their panic buying. But we're in this for the long haul it seems.
    God is with us though and happiness is his wish for us.
    We have been self isolating because we have had symptoms of Covid 19, but hopefully will be able to go out tomorrow!!!! My daughter is the last one to get sick. She has been getting better these last two days, although she still has a sore chest. So, will tomorrow be too early? Maybe leave it one more day.
    God bless you. I love your openness about your faith - quite refreshing. xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi there! Thank you for your visit. I'm sorry that you and your family were affected by this awful virus. But I'm glad that you're all being healed. I think you know your body best when to go out. It's still not healthy for many to be at home day in day out for their mental state. My family and I don't mind the stay at home order. We're grateful that we are together and we are learning a lot because I know God is using this trial to bring us closer to Him but much more to those who don't know His love and grace. Praying for your continued healing. Thank you for your comment but to God be the glory. God bless. And I will pay you a visit too.

      Delete
  9. Miss your posts, and keep checking to see if you have written anything new. Meanwhile, thank you so much for visiting my blog and leaving such encouraging comments. Be blessed, and stay healthy.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Be safe and thank you sister. God bless.

    ReplyDelete

"Faith is taking the first step even if you don't see the whole staircase..."
~ Martin Luther King, Jr.

All posts/composed songs copyright by RCUBEs.



Encouragers

GotQuestions?org

Friends