When Life Give Lemons

How quickly any life's journey can be turned upside down! I know. I have been there. My family has been there these past few months. Or years... Well, since the pandemic hit the whole globe!

As soon as my husband was to retire, we had our plan to downsize. We even bought a new house in Florida. But before the ground was even dug and its foundation prepped, my husband had a change of mind and we decided to cancel the plan. Unable to visit his aging parents and family back in our country, he had a mixed feeling of wanting to move there and be settled when our original plan was to retire here where we've been residing for so many, many years. 


I get it. A sudden change of life's routine can be stressful and overwhelming. Like him. From being a busybody to all of a sudden, merely has no work to do like he used to.  Except to eat, sleep or fix whatever needs to be done in our house. My husband is the type who loves to do something and make useful of each passing minute. Slowly, that period has been subtly stealing my husband's joyful heart. At the same time, his mind is being filled with worries of life. All the worrying and all the unknowns manifested with lesser appetite, broken sleep at nights, and having no interest anymore with the things our family used to enjoy. It became a cycle. Happy in one day. Sad for more. It took a toll on me and our son also. My son and I felt helpless seeing a stranger we used to know as my husband, his Dad.


How true of that phrase... "When life gives you lemons, make lemonade!" But how do we make lemonade? What is the proper way to make lemonade that will overcome the sours of this ever changing life's journey?


Happy conversations, enjoying each other's companies, laughters always saturating each corner in our home, strength from our triple binded cord, our shared daily petitions morning and night... They all suffered.


We still pray. We know that is the vital lifeline we hold on to, to make our purposes still work.


I know the way that no matter where we go, our ultimate destination is never in any place of this earth. I know the truth that no matter what we plan or what step we take, God is the One Who directs that. I know the life that in this dark valley we're walking on, His Light will guide us and will never leave us alone in the dark.


So... When life gives us lemons...No!!! We don't make lemonade. We seek God first! The One Who promised to those who love Him that He would never leave us nor forsake us and would be with us up to the end of age...



Dear brothers and sisters, when troubles of any kind come your way, consider it an opportunity for great joy. 3 For you know that when your faith is tested, your endurance has a chance to grow. 4 So let it grow, for when your endurance is fully developed, you will be perfect and complete, needing nothing.


5 If you need wisdom, ask our generous God, and he will give it to you. He will not rebuke you for asking. 6 But when you ask him, be sure that your faith is in God alone. Do not waver, for a person with divided loyalty is as unsettled as a wave of the sea that is blown and tossed by the wind. 7 Such people should not expect to receive anything from the Lord. 8 Their loyalty is divided between God and the world, and they are unstable in everything they do. - James 1:2-8 (NLT)

6 comments:

  1. "When life gives us lemons...No!!! We don't make lemonade. We seek God first!"

    πŸ’™

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you sister Sandi! Who do we better turn to but the Source of everything, right? Even the spiritual & physical lemonsπŸ™‚. God bless πŸ™

      Delete
    2. I meant the Source of spiritual lemonade and the Giver of all things like the physical lemonsπŸ™πŸ™‚

      Delete
  2. Transitions are difficult, especially for men. Tom felt strange emotions upon retirement. I had to reassure him he was not useless. I think men, especially, feel their identity is tied to their career. I love what you said about choosing joy and I needed to hear that again. I was so frustrated with my evap cooler yesterday. It was 88 in my home on a 109 degree day. SIL came after work and fixed it beautifully but in the interim, I asked God why He didn't take me and leave Tom who knew how to fix everything in this place. His purpose will prevail in my life but I need to adjust my attitude sometimes and reflect on my purpose. What's more important than the gospel? I have work to do and Jesus is my faithful husband who will see me through the hard times, the crabby times in heat and humidity. Hard to choose joy but I absolutely love the Scriptures you gave me to chew on today. God's blessing on you, friend. Sending you my love and hugging you tight with my prayers as we navigate these unfamiliar, off the beaten paths!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with everything you said sister Mary. Not only with the sudden shift in work status but also what's going on in the area where he used to work where the lawlessness and other evil things are being done & my husband I think felt that him & the other guys like him who worked hard to drive off evildoers might seem gone. I think it hurts him to see that their hard work paid off but now was considered rubbish. I told him true justice only comes from the Lord & that He sees both good & evil. Nothing goes unnoticed to the eyes of the One & true God Who never sleeps!

    I often think about you in my πŸ™ & feel in my spirit that it is easier said than done to remain joyful during trying times & sense that it's not easy for you to do everything like that. That I always find myself praying for strength, comfort, provisions & protection & His guidance over you. Tough indeed to be facing a lot of unknowns. But I know God has a special purpose for each one of us remaining here. And that's my husband's wish. To share the Good News to his family back home. That's not an issue at all between us. With that goal, he has my support & that of our thoughtful & loving son. All I can say is let's keep praying nonstop and I appreciate yours. Thanks be to God for everything He has done for us all & continue to give/do. Love and πŸ™ sister. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. How true that life's journey can so quickly and unexpectedly be turned upside down.The change of plans about the house in Florida must have been disappointing. I feel for your husband--and for you too. Transition like what he's going through is hard. At my age, I totally get it. But then, in my case I live alone, so it's not affecting anyone the way you and your son are being impacted. Sending hugs and prayers.❤️πŸ™❤️

    ReplyDelete

"Faith is taking the first step even if you don't see the whole staircase..."
~ Martin Luther King, Jr.

All posts/composed songs copyright by RCUBEs.



Encouragers

GotQuestions?org

Friends