God's Math

"Yes, everything else is worthless when compared with the infinite value of knowing Christ Jesus my Lord. For his sake I have discarded everything else, counting it all as garbage, so that I could gain Christ." - Philippians 3:8 (NLT)


Hanging up the phone with my left hand getting tired after getting an update on the inmates that were admitted in the hospital, I asked for permission from the night charge nurse if I could go briefly to our ODR (Officer’s Dining Room) and I had a taste for coffee which was unusual for me to drink while at work.

The other nurse working with me, upon hearing that I was going to get a cup wanted to tag along, too. So, off we both went. What was puzzling was he never usually said anything let alone, he wanted to go with me which would mean conversation would be inevitable.

Sensing he wanted to vent out, he sort of talked about some frustrations about co-workers how some were lazy and some were abusing their power. I could feel for him as I was involved in a battle with some in positions and the silent war was not known except between myself and those others involved.

“I know,” agreeing with his statements. “Nothing new. It’s been that way. I had never been so grateful than when I was blessed with this job,” I uttered.

“Sad to say, the problem is always about the people.”

Tracing our steps back to the Infirmary down a long hallway, with him balancing 2 styrofoam cups of coffee on his right hand as I held on to the lid of my coffee, I felt not the warmth of the coffee but more of the warmth of our conversation and was glad that he opened up. I was beginning to know a little more about his attitudes since we started a new schedule this year and I was glad to be included with the people I ended up working with most of the time. It was a new thing tried out to encourage everyone to have a better working relationship.

“If only people would learn to compromise and truly look for the good and not the bad, it would have been the best job,” I stated as he nodded his head in agreement and took a careful sip from the warm liquid.

People had talked about him being lazy. But I never agreed since I started working with him and found out that he worked as hard as the rest of us. That’s the problem at work. People love to believe “hear says.” They forget that there are always 2 sides to a story. One side always seem so true not until you hear the other side.

“How many updates did you do?” he asked, changing the topic.

“Man! There’s more admits tonight. I had to call for 15 inmates.”

15. A number. Sounds like a lot. I also screened almost a 100 health screen forms, approving those who could be transferred to our other prisons if our main jail needed to make room for newly-arrived prisoners. To others, that would be a lot. But for me who did more at the hospital I used to work in for almost 10 years, that would mean nothing. An easy kind of work for those of us who did more hard work at the hospital.

At work, they look at those numbers for our supervisors to know how much work our shift does. The higher the number, it meant more work was done. Yet, those numbers would never reflect the quality of work applied by many of us. Some did them fast without complaining. Some did them slow and took work for granted while doing other idle and useless things.

People forget there is a Boss Who looks at everything and sees everything. With numbers or no numbers, He knows what transpires every time. If people can only learn from Him and truly know Him, every work will be able to create a masterpiece. Oh, how I pray for His love to cover our workplace, touching each person’s heart! For only then those numbers will have a meaning as a result of changed hearts -  hearts that if only can learn to surrender to His love will gain His rich spiritual blessings instead of counting it as a loss. For in God’s Math, the “cross” resembles the “plus” sign in this world’s math. So, everything is a “plus” if people’s hearts open up and allow God’s love to be poured into theirs.

8 comments:

  1. Just like Elijah who thought he was the only one left, until God told him there are thousands more who have not bowed their knees to Baal, so are there many on your side, dear Rosel. You are not alone.

    God's math is indeed not the same as our math. We see with limited vision, God sees the whole of eternity.

    I am glad this person encouraged you that night, and may I always be another encourager to you. You are definitely not alone.

    Love
    Lidj

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad that you had a bit of encouragement from this co-worker. I remember when I used to work as a charge nurse in a Telemetry Unit at the hospital. When it was really busy, I'd tell the staff nurses to roll up our sleeves and let's help one another. I always tried to join in and help out too. I think we'd have had a good time working together; you and me. :)

    I love God's math so much better. His love does put us over the top!

    Blessings and love to you Rosel,
    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  3. I used to work a lot with spreadsheets. I learned a valuable lesson then: there are many entries - some profitable, some not. Some are status quo. But you never judge a number until you actually draw the bottom line. Too, you can't change a hard & fast number, but you can make little course corrections along the way that'll ensure better outcomes.

    God sees, and His bottom line for us is always: "Well done, my good & faithful servant!"

    Hugs,
    Kathleen

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love it when you say, "everything is a “plus” if people’s hearts open up and allow God’s love to be poured into theirs."

    I think a lot of people would behave differently and work harder if they really realized who was evaluating their work. That concept so needs to become ALIVE!

    Beautiful how God gave you a coffee thirst (when you usually didn't have one) to plant seed to a co-worker!

    Be blessed this week:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. God timing and numbers are right on time.
    His balance sheet always comes out on the plus side. May the Lord bless you at your job and at home. Blessings friend!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Rosel, glad you had that co-worker. God's hand is in everything. Blessings.

    ReplyDelete
  7. As we go through our daily routines of life it's good to keep in mind that someday we will give an account to God not only for our words and deeds but for our motives also.

    Take care Rosel and have a great week :-)

    ~Ron
    *******

    ReplyDelete
  8. You're so right. When I've had hurtful situations in the past in the workplace I always reminded myself that I worked hard and gave it my all because I am working for God, not man.

    I must say however, that repeatedly as I've read your postings I've thought about what an excellent nurse you are and how I adore getting to work with people like you.

    ReplyDelete

"Faith is taking the first step even if you don't see the whole staircase..."
~ Martin Luther King, Jr.

All posts/composed songs copyright by RCUBEs.



Encouragers

GotQuestions?org

Friends