Be Watchful

“Hey!”, I yelled to the inmate whose right hand was stretched out so hard to get a few more packets of sweeteners. He was one of the diabetics waiting for the LVN’s to come to the window so their sugar level for that morning would be checked one by one. Thinking that there was no one around and not able to see where I was, his right hand just stretched and went for that opportunity to steal some packets of that artificial sugar.

“What’s up Sir? You know the rules here,” as I approached the glass partition window.

“I am so sorry Ma’am,” as his face who would have been bragging to those other ones sitting around if he wasn’t caught, was now red and very embarrassed.

[I knew him. He was an elderly man, always polite. He would be the last person I would think to be able to do that; first, because he was frail and secondly, he would always just patiently wait for his turn without any complaints].

“It’s you?. You could have just asked for some extra ones from the other nurses when you check your sugar level.”

“I don’t know what to say but I’m so sorry,” he replied.

“That’s okay. But we’ve been telling all of you how limited our supply with sweeteners are sometimes. And to be fair, if one gets 2 packets, then the rest gets 2 packets.”

“It won’t happen again, I can promise you that. I’m sorry, Ma’am.”

“I will let you go but you know that if you do it again, you can be punished for stealing. Next time, just ask, okay?”

“Okay, Ma’am. Thank you,” as he walked away from the window and went back to sit down among the rest of the inmates waiting for their accuchecks to be done.

To keep watch over something means guarding it against intruders. This also applies to our hearts or houses. Just as we don’t want a thief to break into our homes when we are away or just sleeping, we will not want the world to end when we are spiritually asleep.

Jesus said, “Watch out! Don’t let Me find you living in careless ease and drunkenness, and filled with the worries of this life. Don’t let that day catch you unaware, as in a trap. For that day will come upon everyone living on the earth. Keep a constant watch. And pray, that if possible, you may escape these horrors and stand before the Son of Man.” [Luke 21: 34-36].

Even if the end of the world doesn’t happen in our lifetime, it will still end when we die. Many believe that even after we die, we still have the chance to get things right with God. But the Bible is very clear about the next step after death: “It is destined that each person dies only once and after that, comes judgment.” –Hebrews 9:27.

14 comments:

  1. "Spiritual pride is very apt to suspect others, but a humble saint is most jealous of himself. He is as suspicious of nothing in the world as he is of his own heart. The spiritually proud person is apt to find fault with other saints . . . and to be quick to notice their deficiencies. But the eminently humble Christian has so much to do at home, and sees so much evil in his own heart, and is so concerned about it, that he is not apt to be very busy with other hearts. . . . Pure Christian humility disposes a person to take notice of everything that is good in others, and to make the most of it, and to diminish their failings, but to give his eye chiefly on those things that are bad in himself."

    Jonathan Edwards, "Thoughts on the Revival," in Works, I:399-400.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You bless me each time I come here. "To keep watch" made me think of guarding my heart against bitterness, anger,and resentment. It is amazing how GOD speaks through his word and the hearts of HIS children. Thank you!!

    BTW: I hope you dont mind..I posted a link to your blog on both of mine in friendly links.
    I also wanted to say I love the new blog layout. It is beautiful. Thanks for your continued prayers, andrea

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the daily blessings you sprinkle on my life dear friend, love you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bro. Ike: Great quote. I truly enjoy your comments every time you're here or at the glass house. I learn so much from you. Thank you for coming. That's being a true Christian - to see the good in others and let God take care of the rest, instead of us judging them. I pray for the Lord to give a revival to each and every one of us.

    Sister Andrea: I was so tired this morning but I wanted to read your latest post, just didn't have time to comment so I want to go back after this and re-read it again. Your honesty in that post is touching. It's never easy to open up and share it with others.
    No! I don't mind you linking. I'm grateful. Thank you so much.

    Sister Denise: You never cease to visit me and I'm forever grateful to be encouraged by a great prayer intercessor. You're a blessing.

    Brother Chris: Thank you for the visit. Keep praying :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. My Dear Sister Rosel,

    It's late and I can't sleep. I haven't stopped by in such a long time and wanted to pop my head in to say hello. Thank you sooo much for your prayers for us and words of encouragement here to so many others. Your song is beautiful that you wrote and left me at my site...absolutely beautiful, inspiring and uplifting. I've read and reread it.

    This is a very, very powerful post. I've thought about this many times and it's always good to be reminded and to let those know who are not completely knowledgable of such things, that He will come when we least expect it. We had better be prepared spiritually and in all ways at all times and living our life totally for Him first above all things in this earthly world and praising and glorifying Him at all times.

    I love you dear sister and I missed coming here.

    Love, peace & blessings,
    Alleluiabelle

    ReplyDelete
  6. Keeping watch over our hearts - a timely warning, especially in this day and age when 'tolerance' and 'unity' is preached as being more important than God's Word.

    After reading about King David and his adultery and murder, I asked the Lord what could I do to avoid straying from Him. His answer was to make sure that my heart was right before Him each day, (that is, to watch over my heart as you have shared above,) and then all the days of my life will add up and when I die it will be time to meet Him.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for this post. When Jesus comes, I definitely don't want to get caught sleeping or miss out because of it. I love the stories you write to make it easier for others to understand God's word.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like access to different bible versions because often a part of the passage leaps out. In this case it was Jesus saying "Don't let me catch you...filled with the worries of this life" Lots to think about there.

    And thanks again for that glimpse into your world.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Rosel,
    This was great. I want to be found wide awake in full fellowship with my Savior.
    Thanks for sharing this,
    Christy

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a beautiful blog. I will be back often...Just blog hopping today and enjoyed reading your blog...I am posting on our Disney trip so hope you will stop by.

    Also, the June giveaway starts today...all comments left in June will be in the drawing for the "June Card Box"! You will have to go down a few posts to read about the monthly giveaway. Happy Sunday!

    ReplyDelete
  11. RCUBEs, thank you so much for having such an inspirational blog and this post is wonderful. Blessings dear one!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love that quote from Matthew! I often wonder on cloudy days if this will be the Day! Another inspirational and well written with love post of yours!

    Just amazing!

    Love and Hugs ~ Kat

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sis A-belle: It's good to see you here today. Thank you for taking the time to visit me. I am glad that song encouraged you a bit. May the Lord heal you and your husband.

    Bro. Peter: I pray that I am reminded myself of His coming which is unannounced. May I be prepared and hopefully accomplish as much as what He willed for me before that time comes.

    Sister Toia: I am grateful for your visits. Your comments bless me always.

    Sister Cynthia: I love looking at different versions myself but I love Life Application Bible as it's easier for me to grasp the Scripture and apply it with my life. I'm glad to see here today knowing you're busy with a new blessing! :)

    Sister Christy: Me, too:) We're all work in progress and by His grace, we all can!

    Sister Teresa: Welcome! Thank you for hopping over here and nice to meet, you. Hope to get to know you more and I will pay you a visit, too.

    JBR: You're an inspiration to me with your honest posts. I treasure those!

    Sister Kat: You mean like today? A cloudy day? :) Remember that season when we had fire all over the place [2003?]. I was driving on the road and it felt "icky" because that busy freeway had no cars but me. I told my sis-in-law, "This is probably what Rapture means"...

    God bless you all and love you all in Christ.

    ReplyDelete

"Faith is taking the first step even if you don't see the whole staircase..."
~ Martin Luther King, Jr.

All posts/composed songs copyright by RCUBEs.



Encouragers

GotQuestions?org

Friends